The peace and beauty of the Art Studio Cottage. Awaken to the sounds of the rainforest in the middle of tropical foliage scattered with flowers. Your breakfast in front of the soaring studio windows is like staying in a tree house looking out over an ocean which melts into a sparkling sky. The rainforest settling, spacious gardens, trails and the adjoining Tibetan Stupa give many choices for enjoyment. In the evenings the sky is spectacularly clear with an amazing array of stars. The chirping geckos are your natural companions.
Adventure and nature at an affordable price
This small and efficient cottage is often reserved for a week or more because of its remarkably affordable rates. This is the perfect destination for nature lovers wanting to get away from it all yet be within driving distance of other Maui attractions.
The path to the Art Studio Cottage
From the loop driveway at the front of the property is a sign that says “private path.” Go down that broad grassy path and follow steps down the trail across the red bridge over a creek bed and through a tropical jungle under a canopy of bananas, stately palms and flowering hibiscus. But straight ahead is the private path down steps leading to the Art Studio Cottage. For over 30 years family and guests have enjoyed this unique art studio nestled on the side of this gently sloping cliff. The studio is now used as a guest cottage that even today a is a step back into an unspoiled Hawai’i where time stands still.
The Art Studio which became a guest cottage
Originally built as an art studio, this cottage has huge 7.5-feet high side-by-side windows giving wonderful daylight or moonlight from the side of the hill. With an ocean view over the rainforest it has been a favorite place to draw, paint, sculpt, or meditate for the family and visitors. In the past an outdoor woodworking studio was just below the cottage for craftsmen’s projects.
The Art Studio Cottage is a romantic tropical fantasy come true on Maui. It is a private paradise set in the lush vegetation of the rain forest. Enjoyed by artists to inspire their work, this peaceful hide-away is waiting to inspire you.
Just up the main trail you may also enjoy the peace and stillness surrounding the Tibetan Buddhist Stupa, meditate grazing at the ocean and a beautiful open sky on the side of the mountain, practice yoga watching a sunrise, or settle into a chair to read while listening to the birds. In season you can see whales passing in their ancient ritual migration.
“The Cottage is the most magical place I have ever visited. Its were I come to recharge my batteries and write my books.” - Will Johnson, Vancouver Island, B.C.
The front deck
The trail leads to the front deck with a private bath house on one side of the deck and the cottage at the other. Just across the deck is the front screen door to the cottage with a vanity and sink in a short hall leading into the main living area.
Studio living room
Through the front glass paneled door is a spacious living area. In front of the 7.5-foot windows are a table and chairs, a day bed under the front windows out to the deck, and a small desk with a phone, and a book case with collectables and books that reflect the eclectic history of the cottage.
At the end of the living area and to the right is a compact kitchen equipped with cooking utensils and dishes for your stay. A breakfast of fresh fruit and baked breads as well as coffee and tea are provided for your first morning at the Rainforest Reserve. The stove top, oven and refrigerator are powered by propane. The lighting and electricity is provided by solar energy.
Studio loft bed
At the end of the studio/living room is a closet with steps up to a full size bed. The bed has its own set of windows looking out into the tropical forest. From the bed it feels like you are sleeping in a tree house. The full-sized platform bed has very soft all cotton bedding. When you wake up in the morning you are surrounded with lush tropical greenery. You’ll hear birds singing, the trade winds quietly making their way through the rainforest. Occasionally you can enjoy the sounds of waves crashing on the cliffs or rain on the roof.
Just a few steps across the front deck is the private bathhouse with a shower and toilet; it is uniquely appealing. The toilet is a waterless composting toilet like those used in national parks.
The Art Studio Cottage in the Rainforest Reserve is a subtle blending of Western and Asian influences in color, design and architecture, all nestled in a natural environment of rain forest green, the backdrop of Haleakala, ocean and blue sky. When visited by light tropical rains the ocean is joined with all the colors of the rainbow.
Wind, rain, sun, sky, sea
Softly scented air, textures
“Thanks for the understated luxury. Thanks for creating such a tropical dream and sharing your paradise. We have been rejuvenated.” - Bill and Becky Sands, Sacramento
The Art Studio Cottage Amenities and Facts
- 200-feet above sea level and half mile from the ocean (safe from tsunamis)
- Ocean view surrounded by tropical forest and flowers
- 360-square foot, high ceiling one room cottage with loft, deck and private bathhouse
- Ktchen with refrigerator and stove top and oven
- Kitchen furnished with dishes and cooking utensils
- Bottled drinking water provided
- Breakfast of fresh fruit, pastry/breads, coffee and tea is provided for the first day
- Environmentally friendly location powered by solar energy. Power is sufficient to charge batteries for cell phones, laptops and electric shavers and will power most CD players. Hair dryers, irons and other 110-volt appliances do not work on the system.
- Loft (5.5 x 7.5 ft) with Full-size bed with 100% cotton bedding and towels
- Living area with daybed (twin size mattress) on main level
- Living area with round table, chairs, desk and bookshelves
- Bathhouse has waterless, composting toilet (like in national parks—not an outhouse)
- Bathhouse has shower with hot water
- Deck with chairs
- Beach chairs, beach towels and small cooler are available
- Scenic walks on and off property
- The first Tibetan Buddhist Stupa constructed in the U.S. is on the property
- Detailed information on many interesting attractions (see Things to See & Do on our website)